Sources for defining custom PCB shapes

• Hi guys,

Hoping all are staying safe and healthy. I am using Altium for designing my PCB's. Although altium sources an option for designing custom PCB shapes, It is not so accurate. So, I want to use softwares to design my shape and import it as .DXF or .DWG file to altium. I have know that Solid works is one such kind of software.

But, I wanna know whether there are any online tools for designing this?

• Hi @kowshik1729 , There is many CAD software that supports .DXF format and it's very simple to generate one, I'll list some of the online tools below and may I know why you want to use the online tools?

• @salmanfaris Thanks. The reason I wanna use online tools only is because, I have been using my company's lappy and I am restricted to install any other Softwares. So, online tools will be an easy way for me. by the way I have found another way too. EasyEDA provides an super easy solution for creating custom PCB shapes. It really came in handy for me.

• @kowshik1729 Glad to hear that! ๐Ÿ˜Š so you're exporting the dxf/ board file from the EasyEDA? can you explain the process?

• @salmanfaris Sure I can.

1. Open easyEDA and open an empty PCB project.

2. On the top right corner you can find the layer selection . Selection "Board Outline" alone to make it active layer. The eye symbol and pencil symbol must be on the same layer.
      8dd85aa7-3a7e-4a50-85bb-c94e7504b02d-image.png

3. Now, you can draw any shape by using the tools available on the screen. They look something as shown below,
      70b9af6c-3435-4fb6-8546-b45bf6766bbe-image.png

4. I made makergram shape as shown below.

ef357c0f-fdee-4ca7-a78b-3bac2018c733-image.png

1. It even offers a 3D view where you can get by clicking on the camera symbol in the toolbar.

3d579af4-3660-4d56-897e-ff328593aa7e-image.png

1. Click on "File" menu and click on "Export" and click ".DXF" format. This will download DXF file which you can put it up in your CAD software.

And lastly, all these shape creations is done in less than 10 minutes which is very much time efficient and easy to incorporate to your designs.

• That's cool ๐Ÿ‘Œ , nice hacky solution. Thanks for sharing detailed instruction, @kowshik1729. for me it was done by syncing the eagle and fusion360, create board layout in the fusion360 as PCB Profile and Import the layout from fusion360 to the eagle.

• @salmanfaris I see. That looks as an effecient solution too. I'll try it out this time. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Recent Posts

• WhatsApp Image 2020-09-26 at 9.28.51 PM.jpeg

Hey guys, we are thrilled to announce the speaker Mr. Brian Douglas for our upcoming event organised by HackClub TIST as part of Hacktoberfest 2020. He will guide you through GitHub and the importance of Open Source contributions.

Mr. Brian Douglas has been working as a Staff Developer Advocate at GitHub for the past three years and was fully on-board with us when we contacted him about the event.

We at Hackclub TIST strongly believe in the power of collaboration and how even the smallest guidance can have a huge impact in the long run.

So register now at http://hackclubtist.tech/hacktoberfest and lets git learning (pun intended).

Friday October 2, 2020
    7:00 pm -9:30 pm IST

read more
  • P

@Anudeep Thanks a lot m8, I actually made a very silly mistake of including the https:// while entering FIREBASE_HOST, where I must have entered the Domain name alone and removed the https:// extension.

Thanks again for replying that quick. Cheers.

read more
  • A

Hello @Palani, In the Firebase, there are two types of storage,

Cloud Firestore (Very recent one & NoSQL database) Realtime Database (To which we upload the data using NodeMCU)

In the Arduino Code, you can see that there is a variable named FIREBASE_AUTH.

This variable should be assigned to the Database secret. This you can find in Project Settings -> Service accounts -> Database Secrets.

My mistake is, i have mistakenly assigned thay to Web API key. This is found at Project Settings -> General.

The error can also occur when u don't initialise a proper realtime database in Firebase. (This is not my case).

read more
  • P

@Anudeep Hello Anudeep could you please help me out by elaborating the fix to get rid of that error?
    Thanks in advance.

read more
  • At Adobe, weโ€™re focused on bringing together the most intelligent, driven, diverse set of individuals and give them the freedom to nurture their intellectual curiosity. We provide them with the necessary resources and support to shape their ideas into tangible results.
    Through the Adobe India Women-in-Technology Scholarship, we are striving towards creating gender equality in science, technology and engineering domains by encouraging women to showcase their excellence in computing and technology and become future leaders and role models in the field.

๐—›๐—ผ๐˜„ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ฎ๐—ฝ๐—ฝ๐—น๐˜†?

Applications must be submitted through their dedicated application portal which opens on August 20th, 2020 and will close on September 20th, 2020, 5 pm India time.

๐—”๐—ฝ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป ๐—ฑ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฑ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฒ:

Application deadline: September 20th, 2020, 5 pm India time.

Visit:- https://research.adobe.com/adobe-india-women-in-technology-scholarship/

read more